33.11 . There were the believers sorely tried , and shaken with a mighty shock .
33. 33.12 . And When the hypocrites , and those in whose hearts is a disease , were saying : Allah and His messenger promised us naught but delusion .
33. 33.13 . And when a party of them said : O folk of Yathrib! There is no stand ( possible ) for you , therefor turn back . And certain of them ( even ) sought permission of the Prophet , saying : Our homes lie open ( to the enemy ) . And they lay not open . They but wished to flee .
33. 33.14 . If the enemy had entered from all sides and they had been exhorted to treachery , they would have committed it , and would have hesitated thereupon but little .
33. 33.15 . And verily they had already sworn unto Allah that they would not turn their backs ( to the foe ) . An oath to Allah must he answered for .
33. 33.16 . Say : Flight will not avail you if ye flee from death or killing , and then ye dwell in comfort but a little while .
33. 33.17 . Say : Who is he who can preserve you from Allah if He intendeth harm for you , or intendeth mercy for you . They will not find that they have any friend or helper other than Allah
33. 33.18 . Allah already knoweth those of you who hinder , and those who say unto their brethren : "Come ye hither unto us!" and they come not to the stress of battle save a little ,
33. 33.19 . Being sparing of their help to you ( believers ) . But when the fear cometh , then thou ( Muhammad ) seest them regarding thee with rolling eyes like one who fainteth unto death . Then , when the fear departeth , they scald you with sharp tongues in their greed for wealth ( from the spoil ) . Such have not believed . Therefor Allah maketh their deeds fruitless . And that is easy for Allah .
33. 33.20 . They hold that the clans have not retired ( for good ) ; and if the Clans should advance ( again ) , they would fain be in the desert with the wandering Arabs , asking for the news of you and if they were among you , they would not give battle , save a little .